November 28, 2021

deps.edn and monorepos VIII (Polylith)

This is part of an ongoing series of blog posts about our ever-evolving use of the Clojure CLI, deps.edn, and Polylith, with our monorepo at World Singles Networks.

The Monorepo/Polylith Series

This blog post is part of an ongoing series following our experiences with our Clojure monorepo and our migration to Polylith:

  1. deps.edn and monorepos
  2. deps.edn and monorepos II
  3. deps.edn and monorepos III (Polylith)
  4. deps.edn and monorepos IV
  5. deps.edn and monorepos V (Polylith)
  6. deps.edn and monorepos VI (Polylith)
  7. deps.edn and monorepos VII (Polylith)
  8. deps.edn and monorepos VIII (Polylith) (this post)

Part VIII

It's been a month and a half since the last update so I figured an update was due, although I don't really feel like I have much to report.

New Relic

New Relic finally released a version of their Java Agent that is compatible with JDK 17 (7.4.0 on October 28th) so we are finally rolling JDK 17 out into production. Early signs are good: with no changes in configuration at all it looks like the G1 collector has become a bit more aggressive and, although we saw marginally higher CPU usage for GC for the first few days (and marginally lower throughput), now that we've been running for about a week, it looks like GC has settled back down (to ~0.1% of CPU), throughput has settled back down, and overall memory usage is lower with garbage being collected more aggressively than on JDK 11. We're planning to roll more processes over to JDK 17 this week and if things continue to go smoothly, we'll start experimenting with ZGC since several people have had good things to say about that.

tools.build

This library has seen several new releases since my last update and we have now replaced all of the ant / build.xml / bash scripts around our "modern" (Clojure) apps by switching from .tar.gz files built by the latter to .zip files built by the former. They're about 50% larger but bandwidth and disk space really aren't issues these days and having "everything" controllable via a single build.clj script, which we can use from the REPL, simplifies that last piece of our build/deploy chain.

Our legacy (non-Clojure) apps still rely on ant / build.xml / bash scripts but the rewrite continues aggressively so I expect to ditch that in 2022!

Automating Builds

On the subject of automation and tools.build, I finally bit the bullet and updated both next.jdbc and honeysql to automatically, test, build, and deploy, full "release" JARs to Clojars whenever I cut a new release on GitHub (effectively whenever I push a new tag that starts with v). This removes the last manual step that I was performing with these libraries when making a new release.

Clojure CLI (and tools.deps.alpha)

These have also had several new releases since my last update. There is now a very nice clojure -X:deps list command that shows a sorted list of the actual resolved dependencies and versions. In addition, the long-standing issue of :local/root deps becoming stale and not recomputed has been addressed, reducing the need for -Sforce in many situations (especially in monorepos, such as you have with Polylith!).

Polylith

Nothing specific to report here, except that I have declared Fridays to be "refactoring Fridays" for a while at work so I can more aggressively refactor our existing subprojects into components (and bases) and expand the leverage that incremental testing provides, via Polylith.

We're at 18 projects, 6 bases, 35 components, and just shy of 26k lines of our production code using Polylith now (out of just over 96k lines).

Other Important Releases

In closing, I want to call out Clojure 1.11 Alpha 3 which has a number of convenience features (and bug fixes). We have Alpha 3 in QA and we're already using parse-long, parse-double, and random-uuid (we'll probably start using the new clojure.java.math namespace next week). We have had Alpha 2 in production for a couple of months and I expect we'll have Alpha 3 in production next week.

In addition, the National Vulnerability Database dependency-checker library has merged the Pull Request I submitted to allow it to be installed as a CLI "tool" so you can now do:

$ clojure -Ttools install nvd-clojure/nvd-clojure '{:mvn/version "RELEASE"}' :as nvd

$ clojure -Tnvd nvd.task/check :classpath '"'$(clojure -Spath)'"'
# or with aliases to pull in dependencies:
$ clojure -Tnvd nvd.task/check :classpath '"'$(clojure -Spath -A:any:aliases)'"'

This will highlight any security vulnerabilities you may have in your dependencies so it's definitely worthwhile to install and run this tool on all of your projects!

Tags: clojure polylith tools.build monorepo new relic